Day in the life of… : Tuesday, November 27

Photo: Amy Swaney
Amy Swaney
Class of 2009
Concentrations:  Human Resource Management, Strategic Management

This is my first posting, and I promise it will be my longest.

6:00 a.m. Wake up, get ready for school. This is my normal rising time, and today my husband has left an anniversary present on the kitchen table. I take an extra 15 minutes potting my new amaryllis bulb – a five inch wide lump of potential beauty. The day is off to an excellent beginning.

7:00 a.m. Drive to school. An hour long commute is certainly not the best situation, but the alternatives (moving two school-age children, or staying in East Lansing through the school week and seeing them on weekends) were decidedly less pleasant. I’ve discovered Books-on-CD, and can occasionally commute with a friend, and that makes it bearable.

8:00 a.m. Class Prep. This generally consists of answering emails from late last night, or reading whatever I didn’t finish last night. I do some research online for a project due Friday.

9:00 a.m. Finance class. This has been a challenging class for me. I am either really close to understanding the concepts, or else really, really far away. At this point in the semester, only the final exam will tell.

11:00 a.m. Marketing class. You can count on an interesting lecture from Dr. O. I’d love to just sit back and listen, but many of his exam questions are straight from his lectures. So far, it seems like every word I’ve missed in my notes has shown up on the exam, so I type away.

12:30 p.m. Career Services Center for my Graduate Assistantship. Right now, things are slow in the office since the fall on-campus recruiting season is wrapping up. I’ve helped with mock interviews, resume revisions, and I’m currently developing an interview discussion forum. My own internship search is far from wrapped. Good news, I get a call from a biotech company requesting a first interview for later this week. Friday, I’ll be in Texas for a second interview, so I schedule it for Thursday afternoon.

3:00 p.m. Meet with Second-Year to prep for Friday’s interview. Ryan was very helpful, gave me lots of good information, but his Supply Chain internship from last summer might be very different from anything I see in Human Resources.

4:15 p.m. Drive home.

5:30 p.m. Family time begins. I kiss the kids, read some stories, and check my email. More good news, I’ve been invited back for another second interview. This greatly improves my chances for wrapping up the internship search before the holidays, and I’m in great spirits.

8:00 p.m. Anniversary dinner. Many of my classmates are at a practice session for Friday’s Marketing case exam, but my husband has been a rock for me this semester, and he deserves a night out. Besides, I’m out of town Friday, and will make up the exam on Monday. That gives me another day or two to prepare, and although everyone says you can’t really study for a case exam, I will give it my best shot this weekend.

10:30 p.m. Good night. On a normal night, I’ll put in a couple more hours of study after the girls go to bed, but not tonight. I don’t know it yet, but my lack of studiousness this evening will bite me in the a** tomorrow as I attempt to complete my Stats assignment. In any case, there’s nothing I can do about it tonight, since the assignment requires a program that doesn’t work on my laptop (gotta love Vista). I’ll wake up early, and straight to the computer lab in the morning.

Share

Eli Broad College of Business
facebook instagram linkedin twitter youtube
Michigan State University

Contact Us Accessibility Policy Privacy Policy Site Map
© Michigan State University Board of Trustees. East Lansing, MI 48824 (517) 355-1855
MSU is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer. Visit msu.edu