Full-Time MBA News

Taking a break from break

Photo: Jack Lu
Jack Lu
Class of 2009
Concentrations:  Supply Chain Management, Finance, Information Technology Management

Happy Holidays and Merry belated Christmas, everybody! So here I am, taking my time off back in Texas. I’m going to split my blog entry into a few different sections, so first let me rewind a few weeks back to finals.

Finals Duress:

Finals week was hectic, no doubt. None of them were easy, especially Finance, our last exam. The exam was nothing like what had been given the past two years (Hello again, Accounting final?!!), which we were told that if we studied and understood those, then we’d be alright. So I studied the take-home exams, homeworks, and exams, and I actually felt pretty good going into the the final.

Then we got our papers, and it’s one of those where you take one look, flip through all the questions and think, “Hmm. Um…” I frantically looked over my cheat sheet to help me, and trust me, nothing helped. Even with all the minimizing of margins on the sheet to squeeze in as much material as possible, the information still didn’t help. I gulped and flipped through all the questions on the final.

Question #1 – This looks like something I *MIGHT* be able to do, but uh… where do I start, and how?

Question #2 – Um… :(

Question #3 – Holy cow, did we even cover this in class??? :~(

Question #4 – …..

It really is demoralizing to look at a test and not know where to start. I mean, some of us haven’t had any experience in the particular subject, so it’s even more depressing when we think we’ve grasped the concepts but can’t turn it into something useful on a test. Oh well.

So what eventually happened was I started with each question and tried to break it down into manageable chunks (Does this remind you of Computer Science?), then try to come up with answers that made sense. Really, I’m sure I missed all of #3, but at least I tried and put something in any white space I had. I had studied hard, and I had hoped some of that reflected in my answers, even if they were incorrect.

Internship Search:

So some of you may be wondering.. what happens at this point if you haven’t secured an internship before the start of the 2nd semester? Trust me, there are still many, many, many opportunities, especially if you’re active in trying to secure something to do in the summer. MSU has a great reputation in career placement for a reason; our advisors really care, and they really put effort in our one-on-one meetings. You have mock interviews, constant feedback, etc. and they know you. Sure, you still have to put in a lot of effort yourself, but Career Services can provide the support for the world unknown (given that you ask for it and / or need it, which most of us do). There will be a career fair this coming Spring, and many big-time employers don’t recruit until Spring, so we’re going to get a lot of those soon. Your success on getting placement also depends on how open you are to various industries, so if you’re open to “whatever,” you’re going to have a lot more success as well.

Timeoff:

Believe it or not, some of my buddies told me that they were bored just a day after finals were over. I can sympathize; when you don’t have something you “have” to do, sometimes you struggle with what you should be doing. Alas; we’ve been given a roadmap of how we should be filling our time since August, but now that we don’t have anything to do for 2 weeks, what do we do now? For me, it’s easy; just pretend like you’re retired. Do what you want to do; see your family, start your rigorous workout program that you’ve been putting off the whole semester, start learning how to cook, start studying for industry certifications (if that fancies you), or whatever it is for which you’ve established a short-term goal. I recall at the beginning of the semester that we were told to write down a few goals outside of academia; it’s a good idea to do that now, if you’d like. (It also makes for a nice excuse for a new year’s resolution).

For me, I’ve been enjoying (or trying to enjoy) my time here in the sun. I’ve been able to see my family (including my niece and nephew that were just born right before I moved up to East Lansing), and everybody’s been so wonderful and supportive of me doing the MBA program. I’ve also finally got my 2nd semester figured out with Kim’s help, and it feels good to know that your schedule is set. I have about 3 textbooks I can purchase before the semester starts, so I’ll start looking at used books once I can get online.

So all in all, things are going pretty well. All our grades have been posted, and I’ve survived. It certainly isn’t pretty, but I did the best I could given all the time commitments, so I’m proud of myself. No regrets, and that’s how we all should be living!

Share/Bookmark

Eli Broad College of Business
facebook instagram linkedin twitter youtube
Michigan State University

Contact Us Accessibility Policy Privacy Policy Site Map
© Michigan State University Board of Trustees. East Lansing, MI 48824 (517) 355-1855
MSU is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer. Visit msu.edu