Career Switching

Photo: Angel Lynch
Angel Lynch
Class of 2010
Concentrations:  Marketing

I’m currently a second-year Marketing & Strategic Management student in the Broad Full-Time MBA Program. As an alumnus of the MSU undergraduate program, I was thrilled to have an opportunity to expand my Spartan legacy by joining the community at The Eli Broad Graduate School of Management. My undergraduate studies in computer engineering first led me to a career in Information Technology consulting. The consulting lifestyle demands constant shifting from one industry to another, learning each client’s “business” along the way. This need to understand and partner with companies to turn them into industry top performers is what inspired me to pursue my MBA.

While engineering may not seem to be a traditional route to an MBA, the Broad Program ensures that the links that exist between all aspects of a business (Supply Chain to Marketing, Marketing to Finance and so on) are uncovered and discussed so that no matter what your background is or what your postgraduate plans are, you can see where it all fits in the bigger picture of management.

One of the first things I noticed coming into the Broad program was that it is all about a sense of community and teamwork. There are so many great people to meet and work with on a daily basis. From classmates to faculty, to the staff in the MBA program office, everyone is there to help and support you. When asked to come up with a phrase that personified our team during orientation week our team came up with the motto “can’t be stopped.” That is a saying that has rung true time and again as we continue to support each other through our learning experiences at Broad.

I have also found that faculty members here at Broad are always looking for ways to allow students to put the theories and lessons they learn in the classroom into practical use right away. One tradition that first-year students participate in is the “Broad vs. Broad” case competition early in the second semester. This is a great opportunity for students to take the knowledge they gained in their first semester and put it all together as a team to solve a real business problem. Another program is being piloted to allow Marketing students an opportunity to connect with Lansing-area businesses in order to analyze and “diagnosis” marketing problems and then provide recommendations for resolving those problems. For me, these examples just reinforce the fact that Broad truly does give students a “hands-on” leadership experience.

Share

Empower Extraordinary: The Campaign for Michigan State University launched on Oct 24. Close overlay
Eli Broad College of Business
facebook instagram linkedin twitter youtube
Michigan State University

Contact Us Accessibility Policy Privacy Policy Site Map
© Michigan State University Board of Trustees. East Lansing, MI 48824 (517) 355-1855
MSU is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer. Visit msu.edu