Full-Time MBA News

Helping the Broad Way

Photo: Kristyn Jones
Kristyn Jones
Class of 2011
Concentrations:  Marketing, Strategic Management

On January 12, 2010 Haiti was hit by a devastating 7.0 magnitude earth quake, and on that day I was overcome by overwhelming sadness for the Haitian community. Over the next week I watched as the world and our country quickly responded support Haiti in a way that I would have never expected. I continued to think… what can I do to help? Shortly thereafter I received an email from my friend Keri Jewell inquiring as to how we could organize something for Haiti on behalf of Eli Broad.

After a few emails and phone calls, we organized a fundraiser for Haiti to take place for the following week at the Eli Broad Business College.

When organizing the fundraiser I was amazed at how many people were so willing to help us make this event happen for the Haitian community. The help that we received was not limited to but included printing of color flyers, and hallway television commercials. It was like everyone was willing go the extra mile to support this effort to help Haiti re-build.

I think that the most awesome part of this experience was that even though we may be back in school without full-time jobs or income of any sort, our community came together to do what it could to help.

On the day of the fundraiser we set up a table to collects donations and….wow! People from all over Broad came with checks and some with the last cash in their pockets. At the conclusion of the fundraiser we raised over $1300 for Haiti c/o the Red Cross in the name of Eli Broad! This event was the biggest fund raiser that I have ever helped to organize and the best part is that it was the easiest. This is because Eli Broad is like a family. A family that comes together to support one another to make it happen!

Share/Bookmark

Eli Broad College of Business
facebook instagram linkedin twitter youtube
Michigan State University

Contact Us Accessibility Policy Privacy Policy Site Map
© Michigan State University Board of Trustees. East Lansing, MI 48824 (517) 355-1855
MSU is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer. Visit msu.edu